Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy Birthday...Fools Day!


I started this blog a year ago today, on April Fools Day...sort of intentionally. I wasn't sure where blogging would take me and have always gotten a kick out of the word...Blog...it makes me giggle to tell people "I'm a blogger" especially if I get the feeling it's out of their comfort zone...it just sounds silly.

It's been a great adventure and I certainly owe a few thanks to the folks who have helped me out and I have been blessed to meet because of this ordeal. I met Bonnie Martin of Kiss of Sun in a garden design workshop and we became fast friends realizing that our lives overlapped in more than one area. Then one day while working at the Master Gardener phone desk she started telling me about her blog and the upcoming "Bloggers Convention"...I thought she was a little crazy...blogger...hehe, what's that? It was a few weeks before I was in front of my computer and remembered our conversation and googled her blog...a few hours later, after perusing her stories and photos and then blog-hopping to everyone on her sidebar, I thought...I've been keeping a journal for years...why not? I really liked the versatility and freedom involved and was excited to get started. Thank you Bonnie Martin for answering the phone and my dozens of questions so patiently...you're my teacher of the year!

My first get together with other 'said' bloggers was last fall when several of us met in the parking lot at the Target in Capital Plaza to go visit Peckerwood Gardens. It was great to put faces to the work I'd been reading. Everyone was so different and yet our love of the gardening, writing and adventure drew us together. I've seen Pam Penick the most since then, at various classes and she too has been a wonderful help...if you haven't visited her site Digging, you should, she's a fabulous photographer and designer and just an all around stand up gal!
I joined Blotanical at some point and Pamona Belvedere voted me one of her favorite blogs, I've had a few of these since but have yet to figure out how to reply or post...so goes the day. Just when you think you are starting to understand something, you realize how much you have yet to learn...a lot like gardening. Thank you to everyone who has helped me, not laughed, had faith, read faithfully and especially...commented! I've enjoyed every minute of reading your thoughts and following you back to your space in time to learn a little more about playing outside! My garden and I have grown immensely because of you.
Happy April Fools Day...and Thank You!

11 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

Happy blogiversary, Cheryl! It's been a pleasure to read your blog and to get to know you in person. Thanks for the shout-out too.

cherry said...

CONGRAT'S what a lovely blog. Thanks for the giggles about telling people your a blogger ..lol
hugs, Cherry

Carol at Lost Valley Gardens said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences about your first year of blogging. You have developed an excellent blog in just a year!

ConsciousGardener said...

Thanks Ladies:) I wish I had more time to read and write...this spring has been super busy and I think I can thank the blog for that!

Tom in Austin said...

Thanks for the blog I really enjoy it.

Bob said...

Happy anniversary Cheryl. Yours is one of my favorite blogs to read.

The picture didn't look like you without the big smile and tinted glasses though. You always look so happy with that big smile.

ConsciousGardener said...

Thank you all for reading!

Stacy said...

Happy Anniversary! I love reading your blog and seeing all the great pictures. Here's to more blogging!

trelotrick said...

Wishing you much success with your blogging... happy to "foollow" your gardening adventures... a very interesting presentation. peace

Unknown said...

You are so very welcome- its so wonderful to see your blog adventures. I really love the nursery/margarita adventures and the chicken stories.

I'm so happy our paths crossed!

ConsciousGardener said...

Thanks for all your help Bonnie and for answering the phone! Are you going to Chicago??